What does forced and violent entry mean?

Forced and violent entry to a property, usually refers to a way of entering a property, through the use of physical damage.
'Force' is when additional strength and energy, which is over and above what is usually required, is used to enter your property. For example, walking through an unlocked door, or using a key to open a door, is normal. However, using a pick to 'force' a lock to open without a key, would be a forceful entry.
Our policies do not require evidence of violent acts against an occupant of the property, for a valid claim. What we mean by 'violent' is where visible, intentional and physical damage has been used to access a property. For example, a broken window or smashed down door.
Policyholders have a responsibility to take reasonable care and protect their property. Ways you can do this include; ensuring that you keep windows and doors locked, maintaining and keeping any alarms at your property in full working order, and by not leaving your spare keys anywhere accessible.
Incidents where burglars have been able to easily gain access to a home, whether this is by an open door/window, or by gaining access with a spare key, are typically not covered by standard home insurance policies.
If you have any further questions, feel free to click on Help_icon__2_.JPGto start a Live Chat - a member of our team will be happy to assist you!
Was this article helpful?
71 out of 109 found this helpful