What does forced and violent entry mean?

This generally means entering a property in a way that would cause physical damage.

"Force" is effort over and above what is normally needed to enter the house. For example, using a key to open the door is normal, but using a pick to “force” the lock to open without a key would be forceful entry.

 “Violent” entry shows visible physical damage to the property, showing where the force was applied. For example a broken window or smashed down door.

You must take reasonable care to protect your property. If a burglar is able to gain access to your home through an unlocked door or using a spare key, there will be no signs of forcible and violent entry, so this would not be covered by a standard home insurance policy.

If you would like further assistance, feel free to join us on Live Chat using the Help button located at the bottom right of this page. 


Was this article helpful?
58 out of 90 found this helpful